Blog Archive

Monday, November 21, 2011

Packing Some Bird.

At what length will you go to get your pet out into nature? To have him make big potty, get exercise, see the world as it would be for him had he been...a-hem...stray?
We leash and walk. They poop and we scoop. Some even have big handbags in which small dogs who have lost every measure of canine dignity are toted and glitzed with bows in their ears and diamond-ish collars.
We baby-talk them. Examine the food-bags to make sure they are getting the right amount of "crude fat" and "ash" and "protein" per serving, even though we don't have any earthly idea what that means.
In short, we baby these pets.
I wouldn't have it any other way.
I've been know to take a stick and poke at the left behinds of my dog's poo, just to make sure it was of normal consistency and without foreign inhabitants. I can only imagine what it looks like to passers-by to see a hottie [that's me] hunched over a steaming pile o' poo with a stick, concentrating, looking for a sign of irregularity, but I contend that since my dog could not speak, I had to inspect.

Fetching the poop is not necessary. I can get to it myself. Thankyouverymuch.







It's a labor of love.
Anyhow, today I found something extraordinary: a bird being granted the great outdoors by her guardian. Were her wings clipped? No. Was she on a leash? No. Did she fly away? No.
The little green parrot was contained in her own backpack. That right, on the back on a UWF student walking the natrue trail of the Edward Ball nature trail thingy. The back pack was ventilated and the parrot had a little log perch porch in there so she was swinging around in her own private jail cell while she admire the great outdoors and the free birds around her:




Now, I know I didn't get a very good photo, but it's very hard to sneak up on someone while they are backbacking and try to snap their bird.
 Hopefully you can see the backpack and the parrot inside it, who was looking all "WTH am I doing in someone's backpack?"
You know that look people get when they are forced to ride in the back of a pick up truck and get that bitter look? You're the driver behind them and you enter into this unwilling relationship because there you are - eye to eye - just on account of the fact that you are next in line after these unfortunate [probable] teens who sit facing towards you. Just be glad we're not in a second world country or they would be rounding corners at breakneck speed and firing AK-47s into the air shouting [ enter your favourite coup d'etat slogan here]. That's kinda how this parrot looked. Like he wanted a revolution.
If it's possible for a bird to look embarrassed, this one achieved it.

Where's the most interesting place you've taken your pet?

No comments: