Blog Archive

Monday, November 7, 2011

Golden Lettuce, Who Knew?

So I went to Bagels del Sol because I had a coupon, and thank goodness I did, because if I had spent $17.68 for what we ate, I would have expected them to point and laugh as we walked out the door.
"Hot Ham and Cheese Sandwich" ? for $6.99, Little Daughter received exactly: 1 hard bagel
1 slice o' cheese
1 slice o' ham
and bagel chips. I'll get to them in a minute. Seriously, this place was ridiculously stingy. What are we, in some eastern bloc country in 1981? And after waiting nearly 15 minutes for her sandwich, you'd think at
least the cheese would be hot and melty, right?
Ha, ha! Did I say it was $6.99 and under the "specialty" section? That's not pesos, that's American dollars.
I ordered the ...oh heck I don't know what's called, but it's got turkey (Ha ha!) lettuce, and cucumbers and cream cheese in a wrap.
They just didn't tell us it was a scavenger hunt for the meat. Because really? It was a freaking lettuce and cucumber wrap. Also for $6.99. OK, so it was the super crispy lettuce, I think they call it "Iceberg." What's that go for these days, anyhow? Cause I have to admit, there was, like, a *wedge* of Iceberg lettuce in my wrap. Complete mouthfuls of Iceberg. So I really shouldn't complain because I haven't checked the markets and for all I know, that Iceberg Lettuce could be like those gourmet truffle mushrooms from France. In that sense, $6.99 for a wedge of lettuce wrap is most likely a steal.
I probably shouldn't even be reviewing that because the secret will be out and people will line up around the corner for Wrap a la Iceberg.


IMAGE: Honestly? I googled "lettuce filled wrap" and this was the closest pic I could find to what I had. Why? Because nobody outside of Bagels del Sol makes such a mockery of their customers.










OK...
The chips.
People? I'm all about recycling. Use what you can. So it doesn't bother me at all that Lettuce del Sol slices their (day old?) bagels to make chips from them. But they can't just toss whatever they have into a bag of cajun spices willy-nilly and call it "good."
What I mean is - leftover cinnamon raisin bagels? They do not get the garlic/salt/papper treatment and slapped in the basket with a lettuce wrap. Cinnamon and garlic is bad, bad juju.

In fact, how about you keep the hot pepper spices for people who like hot pepper spices, instead of the *plate of a first grader*?? That's pretty much a NO BRAINER that a six year old won't want hot, firey garlicky, cinnamon chips with her one slice o' ham sandwich.



Now, I'm not saying that proper handwashing techniques weren't followed here.
But I AM saying that previously, we ate the same things we've been eating at our house with no issues. But when we came back from Bagels del Sol, within about two hours, some wicked stomach cramps set in.
Montezuma's revenge of the Lettuce Cups.
And then once it was out of out systems, we were fine. So, yeah, I guess I'm pointing a finger.
Or ten.


3 comments:

Jeff said...

the last time i ate there was like 10 years ago when i worked behind university mall. it was ok, better than what you describe, but bagelheads is sooooooo much better. quite frankly, i'm amazed they've stayed open all these years, not so much because of the food but because they're in a really, really, really inconvenient location.

Butterfly said...

I'll try BagelHeads, Jeff, thanks for the tip. Which one do you go to?

Jeff said...

the one on 9 mile next to verizon (used to be blockbuster) in front of the target shopping center. never been to the one downtown. the sandwiches are really good, but they are still very pricy. the nice thing though is you can buy just bagels, they have a pretty big assortment. used to be you had to go before 1:30, but then they opened an evening pizzaheads that had pizzas and regular sandwiches. not sure what the schedule is like now